Pirates and Bears Oh My!
Help your child identify the way the letter r changes the sound of a vowel.
- Target Age: 6-9
- Learning Goals: Phonics:Bossy R
- Related Episode: Episode 116: “Gravity Groove”
- Related Game: Word Transformer
- Paper and pen
- Talk to your child about how the letter r can change the sound of a vowel when it comes after that vowel, (which is why the r is considered so bossy). Give an example of a short vowel sound such as the short a in “at” and talk about what sound the a would make if an r was placed after it like in “art.”
- Tell your child they will hear a list of words, some with a bossy R and others without. Use the words in the word bank below. Be sure to mix up the words so that you are not saying they same sound twice.
- When they hear an UR sound they should growl (uuuuurrrr) like a bear and use their hands to make claws.
- When they hear a word that makes an AR sound they should growl (arrrr) like a pirate and use their hands to make a hook.
Take it Further
Encourage your child to look around their environment to help you find more examples of words with a Bossy R.